Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Llama Sketch


Fountain Pen and non-permanent ink, pocket sketchbook
(please click image to enlarge)

Lately, I have been experimenting with different pens and inks. This sketch was done with the "Pen&Ink" sketching fountain pen with an Extra-Fine point and the non-permanent black ink supplied with it. This is a great, economical fountain pen that comes with 3 cartridges of ink, an ink converter, and a suede pen wrap, all for less than $20.

While not meant to be a Pen&Ink promo, I must say that their little pocket sketch books are nice, too. They are similar to Moleskines, except they seem to hold watercolor washes slightly better. Perhaps this is because they don't have the slick finish that Moleskine sketchbook pages have. They cost less than Moleskines, too. Don't get me wrong. I love my little Moleskines, especially the watercolor versions. It's just that it's nice to have choices.

I'll be sharing more pen and ink experiments as I try out a Sailor 1911 fountain pen and a Lamy Safari pen, among others. Meanwhile, I'd love to hear what your favorite pen and ink combinations are. And what is your preferred type of paper/notebook for pen and wash?

8 comments:

Anonymous March 10, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

Awe, cute Llama! Love your blog banner too.

Aveen March 10, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

I really love this drawing. It would make a lovely postcard or notecard. He has a great expression! Llamas in real life are also lovely. I got to hug some the last time we went to the zoo.

My favourite pens at the moment are some very cheap ones from Muji. They're about £1 each (so I guess about 70 cents) and come in lots of different colours. They're not waterproof unfortunately (so you can't use watercolours with them) but they are lovely for sketching and for writing.

I have had no luck with dip pens, I'm too clumsy and always cover myself and my desk in ink, but I really want a nice fountain pen with a fine nib for sketching. I'll have to see if the Pen&Ink ones are available in the UK.

Lynn March 10, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

That's so cute! The smudged ink is just perfect to suggest wool.

christine March 10, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

Thank you, Susan! I adapted the blogger banner from a template by emporiumdigital.

christine March 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

Hi, Angeltreats! You are so lucky to have hugged a llama at the zoo - I bet he was very soft!

Muji pens are new to me. They sound like a lot of fun to work with. I'll look for them in the U.S.

Update: I see that Muji pens are available in New York. I'll just add that to my list of "why I need to go to NYC soon!"

christine March 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

Lynn, thank you!

Unknown March 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

Eeee! I love Llamas! Did you see my post on the Dali Llama after my post on the Dalai Lama?

christine March 11, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

Sheila, I just found your post on the "Dali" LLama! It's so clever! What a great play on words and cute illustration!

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP