Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chloe

Title: "Chloe"
digital painting/mixed media 8"x10"
(please click on image to enlarge)
© 2009 Christine Pierce

My sister and her partner have adopted a little black and white rescue dog with over-sized ears. Her name is Chloe and she is about 11 months old. I haven't met her yet, but from all accounts she is a very sweet little pup!

This painting is based on a fairly small photo of Choe. I digitally painted her likeness, printed on Hahnemühle fine art paper, and added watercolor embellishment and highlights.

I look forward to meeting Chloe soon!

4 comments:

Charlene Brown August 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

You've done this beautifully, Christine -- I've tried painting on Hahnemuhle paper, and found it behaved pretty much like a blotter! Did you find that different colours worked more easily than others?

Hope when you meet Chloe she's as appealing as you've made her look...

christine August 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Thank you, Charlene! Yes, I did find the Hahnemühle paper acted like a blotter with the darker colors in particular.

What I found most effective was mixing individual watercolors with titanium white gouache. These pastel-ish colors sat much better on top of the absorbent Hahnemühle paper. I also discovered that the less water I used, the better.

I will experiment with different Hahnemühle papers. Chloe was printed on "William Turner" fine art inkjet paper, but the "Sugar Cane" inkjet paper also has a very promising texture.

Unknown September 3, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Wow!! Chris, what a perfect painting of Chloe!! When you meet her you will see how what you painted looks exactly like Chloe!! We love what you have done with all the colors!

christine September 3, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

Hi Trisha,

I'm so glad you think I did a good likeness of Chloe! I may need to do another painting soon, as the recent pictures you sent me show that she has grown even bigger!

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP