Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Diana and Friend: Different Strokes Challenge


Title: Diana and Friend
5.5x8" watercolor and micron pen
(please click on image to enlarge)

This week's challenge at Different Strokes from Different Folks features Diana and her adoring dog companion.

As I was painting this, I remembered a useful tip in Stephen Quiller's book, Water Media Painting with Stephen Quiller. He states,
I use Naples yellow, cobalt violet and cerulean blue in many of my watercolor paintings.... I use the paints in many cases for aged architecture, stone walls or marble statues (emphasis added).

I found it really helpful to limit my palette, something I hardly ever do. In addition to those three colors, I added a touch of Quinacridone magenta. I look forward to working with more controlled palettes in the future; well, at least some of the time!

Here is a link to the DSFDF blog where you can see the reference photograph and all the other interpretations of this challenge.

7 comments:

Camille LaRue Olsen April 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

Christine, you've got a winner here! It has a wonderful Roman or Greek (not sure which) feel about it, and I love the way you handled the dog. I'm so glad you went ahead and did it! Now if I can just work up the nerve... :)

Unknown April 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

I love yours because it has a wonderful light and bright look to it. Great job!

christine April 22, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

Thank you, Camille! I always do enjoy painting the four-legged friends the best!

You have such a good foundation for your Diana, I can't wait to see how you finish your painting.

Sheila, thank you! I really appreciate that you find this to be light and bright :)

Archie and Melissa April 23, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

hi christine!
oh i love it!

the colors are perfect! it just pops off the page!

:) melissa

dominique eichi April 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

I really think you have such a lovely fresh style that brings smiles to everyone. Great entry

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

this is a very nice pen and watercolour! I love the spontaneity in it.
ronell

christine May 1, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

Thank you, Melissa!

Aww, Dominique, now you've got me smiling!

Thank you so much, Ronell!

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP