Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Opera Pink Tulips

Opera Pink Tulips
5"x7" watercolor on Arches 140# cp;
Noodler's Lexington Gray Bulletproof ink & bamboo stick; micron 02 pen

I love droopy tulips! Here's a helpful tip from my florist: if you want your tulips to droop, use a vase with a curved shape. If you want your tulips to remain straight, use a straight-sided vase. I've tried both types of vases, and have found this advice to be quite reliable!

For this sketch, I used a bamboo stick dipped in Lexington Gray Bulletproof Noodler's Ink. Then I used two fun, new (to me) colors: Holbein "Opera" pink and Winsor & Newton "Quinacridone Gold." These will both become part of my regular palette. (The green leaves are just a mixture of greens and a touch of brown). Finally, I added a few ink lines with my trusty micron pigment pen.

8 comments:

Carolyn April 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

I love tulips...but better than that...I love working with the color "opera"...gorgeous!

Unknown April 1, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

How cool are you? How do you like the bamboo stick? Isn't it fun to say, Quinacridone? Aren't I silly sometimes?

Tulips are one of my favorite flowers. Love this.

Aveen April 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

How fun that you used a bamboo stick, I'll have to try that! And every time I see a new post from you I want to rush out and buy new paints, your colour choices are always so pretty and vibrant. Tulips are my favourite flower, but I can't have them at home because our naughty cat eats them...

Chuck Dilmore April 2, 2009 at 5:18 AM  

all of your work is very interesting!
thank you for the beautiful site!

peace,
Chuck

christine April 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

Carolyn, isn't Opera the best?!?

Sheila, Quinacridone is fun to say, LOL! It's very snappy, and there are far too few occasions to use it in everyday conversation!

Aveen, I picked up the bamboo stick at an art supply store. It had the end already tapered so it was ready to go. I think you'll have fun trying it!

Thank you, Chuck!

Charlene Brown April 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

I agree - droopy tulips are to straight-ups as lop-ears are to ordinary bunnies.

christine April 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

Great analogy, Charlene!

We used to have a lop-eared rabbit named Henry. We took him for walks, well, hops, in the nearby city park. He had a leash-harness and seemed quite content to mosey along. Some people actually asked us if he was a dog!

Leah April 5, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

How lovely! I love the lines in this one.

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP