Monday, March 23, 2009

Coyote in Rainbow Socks

Coyote in Socks, side view

Coyote in Socks, front view

On Saturday, we visited the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, Washington. One of my favorite pieces was "Coyote in Socks", shown above.

The talented Hot Shop team at the Museum created this sculpture based on a sketch from 9-year old Marion Emme. Here is her drawing. She writes, "Coyotes are close to my house and I like thinking of them with rainbow socks."



Rainbow socks! I love it!

We watched the Hot Shop team in action as they turned a chunk of molten glass into a beautiful piece of art. Here is a picture of them at work:

Museum of Glass Hot Shop team

Outside, there is a pedestrian bridge filled with stunning pieces by Tacoma-born, master glass sculptor, Dale Chihuly. Here are a few pieces:

Glass by Dale Chihuly, Museum of Glass
(please click on image to enlarge)

This is a wonderful museum which I highly recommend visiting if you are ever in the Tacoma/Seattle area.

5 comments:

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 1:22 AM  

the coyote in socks is just adorable!!

hope you had a great trip!! :)

Archie and Melissa March 24, 2009 at 6:02 AM  

oh how fun!

i love the coyote in rainbow socks!

glass blowing is so amazing! thank you for sharing it!

what a great day!

melissa

Charlene Brown March 24, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

What a treat to find the coyote in rainbow socks in my blog list this morning! I've been to and loved the Museum of Glass during one of our Art Gallery of Greater Victoria excursions into the States -- you have truly captured the delight of the place in your blog.

christine March 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Asa, thanks, we did have a great trip! I'll be posting a few more photos shortly...

Melissa and Emmitt, I agree. Glass blowing is an amazing art!

Charlene, I'm so glad you are familiar with the Museum of Glass. It is a real treasure. How fun that your Art Gallery takes excursions into the States! Do let me know if you ever have Portland on your itinerary!

Kierstin Bridger March 25, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

I love the Tacoma glass museum! I once had a pear soup at their little cafe that I have been dreaming of ever since!

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP