Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Elizabeth Gilbert and Creativity


Elizabeth Gilbert sketch
(Lamy Safari fountain pen
in sketch book)
Lamy Safari fountain pen in sketch book

Yesterday, Camille Olsen kindly sent me a link to a TED talk on creativity. This talk featured Elizabeth Gilbert (author of Eat, Pray, Love) describing a different way to think about creative genius.

While I can't say I agree with her entire premise, there is some interesting food for thought in her 20 minute lecture. In my opinion, everybody is creative in his/her own way. I am less concerned with knowing the source of our creativity and more concerned with simply expressing the creativity that is inherent in each of us.

Of course, this is sometimes easier said than done. We all experience creative slumps at one time or another. If you'd like to share, I'd love to know what helps you get out of a creative dry spell and back into the creative flow.

Here's a link to the talk: TED.com.

Thanks, Camille!

2 comments:

Camille LaRue Olsen March 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM  

You are most welcome, Ms. Pierce! I mainly liked it because it addressed some fears that some of us artists have. And I need all the help with my fears I can get! :)

christine March 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

Yes, Camille, as do I!

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP