Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Knit-a-Square (Sketch and Photos)

Knit-a-Square Sketch
(pen and wash, sketch book; please click on image to enlarge)


Knit-a-Square (wool, size 10-1/2 needles; 8x8inches)

Knit-a-Square (goldenrod wool) and Crochet-a-Square
(cadet blue wool, size K hook)


Part of the fun of belonging to the online art community is seeing what other creative people around the world are doing. This week, I found a link on Creative Everyday to Melissa Langer's blog, Life is Art...Art is Life. She has a post about knitting 8x8inch woolen squares and sending them to a South African women's group that uses them to make blankets for impoverished babies and children. Every square that is sent will be used to keep a cold child warm.

It has been over a year since I've knit or crocheted, but I pulled out my knitting needles and crochet hook and gave it a go. Happily, it all came back to me and I really enjoyed making my first two squares. They're now tucked into an envelope and ready to drop in the mail.

If you'd like to know more about helping in this way, here is a link to the Knitting Squares for Charity website.

Thanks for your great post, Melissa!

4 comments:

Archie and Melissa March 19, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

hi christine!
it is so nice to meet you! thank you for contacting me to let me know you enjoyed making the squares. you made my whole week!
i love your art and your sketch of the squares as well. I am off to get caught up on the rest of your blog!
:) melissa

Unknown March 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Aaah... artists are one of the most generous people on this earth. You and Melissa are always confirming this belief.

christine March 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

Melissa, it's nice to meet you, too! I love your blog — your sweet little dog paintings are just wonderful!

christine March 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

Thank you, Sheila!

Your Art for the Animals project is such a worthy cause.

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP