Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Saffron Rose Cupcake


Watercolor, Noodler's Ink Bulletproof Lexington Gray, Fabriano hot press paper

This painting is based on the scrumptious-looking Saffron Cupcake created by Asa. You can see the original here on her photostream. It looks like a bouquet of yellow roses, almost (almost!) too good to eat!

I experimented with Noodler's Ink in Bulletproof Lexington Gray and a dip pen. Then I added watercolor and some random splashes of paint.

Here is another version. This one is a little looser. It is done on Arches coldpress paper with a micron 02 pigment pen and watercolor.

Watercolor, micron 02 pen, Arches cold press paper

Thanks for giving me permission to paint your lovely saffron cupcake, Asa! It was a lot of fun!

8 comments:

Unknown March 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

oooh... the top looks more delicate and feminine. The bottom is richer and has a wonderful warm tone contrasted with the periwinkle background. Both look delicious!

Jennifer Winship Mark March 11, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

I love your second cupcake....it is spontaneous and has much richer yellows and shadows...Bravo. Plus it has a happy carefree nature to the painting.
Jenny

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM  

These are both lovely cupcake paintings - I too really like the losseness of the second. Do you really think the icing was cheese? I was hoping it was that wonderful cream cheese (sweet) icing. YUM!

christine March 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

Thank you, Sheila!

Jenny, thank you for sharing your "two brush" watercolor technique with me. It really helped me with the second cupcake.

Shirley, the cupcake creator, Asa, said she used "just good ol' fondant" to make the flowers. Isn't she amazing?

Sandy March 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

Umm this cupcake is delightful to just look upon!

joanieART March 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

Adorable and great fun. Love your style.

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

Both cupcakes look great. Thanks, now I wanna cupcake.

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 2:29 AM  

I am so enjoying your pages this morning - just thought I would let you know that!

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP