Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Digital "Major"

"Major-1"
digitally adapted in Corel Painter 11

Recently, I read that one of my favorite artists has gone digital. David Hockney, age 71, has embraced digital technology and has created some phenomenal pieces for his current exhibit at his gallery, Annely Juda Fine Art in London.
“It’s probably only in the past year that the computer’s got quick enough to keep up with the draughtsman,” said Hockney. “It’s a very new medium and it’s turned out to be a fantastic medium.” (To read the rest of the TimesOnline article, please click here.)

I love that this renowned and seasoned artist is continiously experimenting with new media. He has even begun creating art on his i-Phone!

Inspired by Hockney's embrace of digital art, I have spent the last two days learning how to use Corel's Painter 11 program. As my subject, I used a photograph of Major, whose watercolor version you can see here.

The picture of Major, above, is the result of some doodling around with Corel Painter. The picture of Major, below, takes the above picture into Photoshop and adds some plug-in filters.

"Major-2"
further adapted in Photoshop PS4 with Cutout Filter
and Topaz Adjust Filter


I am VERY new to this, but I am already hooked. I won't be hanging up my micron pen and watercolors any time soon, but it is nice to have some new artistic toys to play with!

6 comments:

Archie and Melissa May 6, 2009 at 6:53 AM  

hi christine!
oh my goodness! they are both amazing! you just started doing this? wow!

Charlene Brown May 6, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

I was fascinated with that story on David Hockney, which I first heard about in Katherine Tyrrell's http://makingamark.blogspot.com/, particularly in that he starts some of his digital art on his iPhone -- an idea which he describes as absurd (but in a good way, of course). I've always found it much easier to start with a photo or watercolour scanned into Photoshop -- as you have done. Nice job, by the way.

Christine May 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM  

Wow! Very well done! I also love David Hockney. I just wanted to let you know I awarded you with the Kreativ Blogger Award on my blog! It is here: http://christineregan.blogspot.com/2009/05/kreativ-blogger-award.html Congrats!

christine May 6, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

Hi Melissa, LOL, yes, I have just started doing this! But Corel Painter is not entirely different from Photoshop, so it's just a matter of adding some new skills.

Charlene, I love what you've been doing with Photoshop on your recent pieces. I look very forward to seeing your computer-generated Temple of Serapis at Alexandria.

Pat May 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

I agree, I love photoshop. You look like you are having fun and I love what you are doing.

christine May 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Thank you for the award, Christine! I am honored! :)

Pat, I'm happy to meet another Photoshop enthusiast! Yes, I am having a LOT of fun with it!

 

  © Blog template adapted from Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP